Competition to secure a job is once again sky-high as more and more jobs are lost as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Recent ONS research highlighted this plight; it revealed that the estimated employment rate for all people was 75.3%; this is 0.8 percentage points down on the year and 0.6 percentage points down on the quarter. It also indicated that the number of redundancies has increased by a record 181,000 on the quarter to reach a record high of 314,000. This annual increase has been the largest since February to April 2009. These high figures have increased the number of applications to job advertisements. For example, CV-Library revealed that a role for a paralegal received 4,228 applications, while 3,333 applied for a job as an HR assistant. 3,272 also put their names forward...
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.