Google trend data has found that the search term ‘am I drinking too much’ has received a 9.400% rise in UK searches between September and October 2020. This could be attributed to the increasing time spent at home, where boredom may creep in as individuals struggle to find things to keep them busy amid the pandemic.
Similarly, research shared by Alcohol Change has also highlighted the impact the crisis is having on individuals’ alcohol intake. Back in July the organisation asked over 2,000 people whether they agreed or disagreed with the statement ‘overall, I have drunk more alcohol than usual during lockdown’ – more than a quarter of respondents agreed. Similarly, it discovered that one in six people say they have felt concerned about their drinking during lockdown, with 37% adding they have taken steps to manage their alcohol consumption.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.