99% of women feel that their menopausal symptoms have a negative impact on their careers
60% of the women surveyed said their workplace offered no menopause support
1 in 5 women reduced their hours because of menopause symptoms, 12% resigned altogether8
These stats suggest an unsurprising link between a lack of menopause support in the workplace and women not feeling as though they’re in a position to continue their careers through this period of their lives.
So, we have outlined the problem, but what can businesses actually put in place to ensure that they are offering the support that these women need to stay in the workforce?
Here are a few examples of employee benefits and other support you can offer:
Financial planning support
Retirement planning advice
Flexible working and flexible hours
Access to counselling
Menopause support, including but not limited to:
Days off to manage symptoms
Access to medication
Ensuring an open and accepting work environment
Encouraging honest communication between your people
Join us on Thursday 5th October at 10am, when we will be hosting a free webinar on this article topic, entitled ‘How thinking differently can help stem the flow of female talent leaving the workforce’. This is a session led by our employee benefits specialist alongside special guests from Livve menopause support and My Care Consultants eldercare support.
Book your place here.
Also, in our latest guide ‘Thinking strategically to overcome your people challenges’, we encourage you to assess the type of people that your business needs to grow and outline how attracting and retaining these people could be down to strategy – not necessarily just the employee benefits you’re offering.
Download the Guide
1.Sharp rise in number of Britons leaving work to look after family | Work & careers | The Guardian.
2. Why diversity matters | McKinsey
3. Advantages of employing and retaining older workers | nibusinessinfo.co.uk
5. Sharp rise in number of Britons leaving work to look after family | Work & careers | The Guardian
6. Menopause factfile | Local Government Association
7. More than 1m UK women could quit their jobs through lack of menopause support | Menopause | The Guardian
8. Menopause forces women to leave their jobs or pass up promotions, study finds | UK News | Sky News