Coaching | Webinar: Why the GROW Model is Groaning

Webinar: Why the GROW Model is Groaning

It would be reasonable to expect because of the huge interest in coaching programmes and the thousands of people undertaking coach training, that our modern organisations are awash with highly effective coaching cultures.

However, according to our coaching poll of over 700 organisations worldwide, despite the ongoing investment in coaching, a shockingly low 3% of organisations describe their prevailing leadership approach as being ‘very much a coaching style’.

Even just a passing glance at our poll results is enough to raise an eyebrow or two - something isn’t working.

Our research into this phenomenon revealed that the majority of coaching programmes are based around the GROW model or some derivative of it, and it became plainly clear to us that the GROW model is groaning under the pressure of organisations trying to use it to drive wide-scale behaviour change.

Not fit for purpose

Please don’t misunderstand us: We like the GROW model! We even teach it in many of our programmes as part of a much wider coaching toolkit. The bottom line is though...if you want to build a coaching culture in your organisation, GROW isn’t going to get you the results you are looking for.


More from Notion:


GROW is an executive coaching model designed specifically for use in planned, 1-to-1 structured meetings which are focused around the coachee’s agenda and realistically it can only reach about 5% of the organisation. Extrapolating this formula into the wider workplace, in today’s fast-paced, highly changeable conditions, simply doesn’t work. Put frankly, the GROW model isn’t fit for purpose when it comes to embracing the other 95%, or in other words, leveraging the engagement, performance and productivity of most of the people, most of the time.

So, how do you achieve the perfect fit?

Organisations that are serious about driving culture change need to consider taking an ‘Operational Coaching’ approach rather than trying to shoehorn an executive coaching model into their change game. STAR® is the first operational coaching model designed specifically to drive wide-scale behaviour change by focusing on the managers’ behaviour rather than on the coachees’ personal agendas. Managers can use operational coaching ‘in the moment’, on-the-job, and even when they are under pressure, with no extra time required. Operational coaching fits perfectly into the managers' everyday dialogue with direct reports, peers, customers, suppliers and even their bosses. Managers can also learn how to become excellent operational coaches using our revolutionary, virtual, fully blended management development programme STAR® Manager, which can be accessed anytime, anywhere, on any device. STAR® does what the GROW model cannot - it reaches the other 95% of the organisation and helps to deliver long term sustainable change and tremendous commercial results.

Want to find out more?

 

 

Notion is a global expert in behaviour change and coaching. To find out more about why the GROW model is groaning and what you can do about it, click here to register on our FREE WEBINAR or for more information about how STAR® Manager can help you to develop operational coaching skills click here. Alternatively, call us for an informal chat on +44(0) 1926 889 885.

Register for the Webinar


Promoted by
Notion

Formed in 2000, we have spent the last 17 years committed to helping organisations “change momentum”.What makes us different is that we continually strive to ensure that any interaction has a focus on sustainability. Many of our programmes are bespoke, and from the outset we work with you to discover exactly what you need us to deliver the programme.

Related Content

Future of learning | CIPD's L&D Chief explains how fresh learning can boost productivity
Successful L&D can no longer be a tick box approach...
    | Feature
  • | 11

Workplace education | One third of UK employees feel unqualified
60% of those polled claimed that regular access to education had a direct effect on their happiness and wellbeing…
    | News
  • | 13

Clear Review

Webinar

Recording available
HR Grapevine
HR Grapevine | Executive Grapevine International Ltd
Appraisals, Anxiety & Psychological Safety: The Future of High Performance

Capita Plc

Learning Resource

Download Now
HR Grapevine
HR Grapevine | Executive Grapevine International Ltd
The digital opportunity: Striking the digital balance for better learning experiences