It’s hardly surprising then that 94% of organisations don’t know what ROI they get from their coaching.
Confidentiality is a Misused Excuse For Not Measuring ROI
There are many myths that get in the way of measuring the impact of coaching. One that continues to prevail is that executive coaches can’t share the outcomes of their coaching assignments as this would breach client confidentiality and coaching ethics.
Laura couldn’t disagree more strongly, “The people that say this don’t know how to measure coaching so hide behind this confidentiality cloak. This is completely incorrect and it really frustrates me - my advice is the next time a coach says this to you, fire them!”
More from Notion:
The confidentiality myth is perpetuated because it works in favour of less commercially oriented coaches and may even relieve the pressure on busy HR departments to prepare detailed reports. But whilst it’s really important to honour the confidentiality held between the coach and coachee, the coaching objectives and outcomes can be shared with full transparency at the start of a coaching assignment and reported on without betraying any confidential information.
So, how do you measure coaching programmes?
Laura offers 7 quick steps to follow:
1. Establish and agree on measures upfront and expect results like these ranging from 5 x to 100 x ROI in the first 6 months or less
2. Ensure proper matching and contracting
3. Don’t allow the words ‘it’s confidential’ to phase you
4. Do have specific paperwork you want your coaches to use to track and measure success
5. Do follow up and ensure you receive the paperwork
6. Do ensure programmes don’t run and run - set timebound programmes with clear objectives
7. Do collate results and report them and showcase good examples
Here are some examples of the results you can expect if you follow these 7 Steps:
Laura says, “With the right set up at the front end and some simple disciplines it’s super easy to measure an ROI and ROE for each and every assignment. If you don’t have an external provider already doing this for you then get in touch with us because we do this for all our clients and we also teach this to all the internal coaches we train too.”
Notion is a global expert in behaviour change and coaching. To download a recording of the full webinar click here or for more information about our programmes, call us for an informal chat on +44 (0) 1926 889 885.