A Silicon Valley CEO has revealed that she dyed her hair brown in order to be taken seriously in the business world. Eileen Carey, CEO at start-up Glassbreakers, revealed to the BBC that colouring her hair dark and forgoing her high heels may have played a part in her success.
"The first time I dyed my hair was actually due to advice I was given by a woman in venture capital," she told the publication. “I was told for this raise [of funds], that it would be to my benefit to dye my hair brown because there was a stronger pattern recognition of brunette women CEOs."
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.