Tesco Chairman: White males are an endangered Boardroom species

Tesco Chairman: White males are an endangered Boardroom species

Tesco's Chairman has said that he believes white men are becoming an endangered species at the top of British businesses.

John Allan, who sits alongside nine other men and three women on the Tesco Board, made the comments at a business conference last week - The Independent reports.

To continue reading FREE content

For news and offers direct to your inbox and online, pop your business email in the box below. Read more about why you need to register.

We would like you to become part of HR Grapevine and join the most engaged online communities of HR Professionals in the UK. Thousands of HR Professionals just like you have already registered with HR Grapevine and we would like you to join in - its FREE!

However, an EU regulation coming our way means that to continue hearing from us, you will need to become a registered user. No matter the outcome of BREXIT, this regulation will apply to us while we remain in the UK and perhaps beyond.

Access across the HR Grapevine site will continue to be free of charge once you register. You will also be able to join our other communities for:

  • Recruiters
  • Business Leaders and Entrepreneurs
  • Board Consulting and Executive Search

Every reader we retain, is very important to us, and we would appreciate you taking the time to Register with us now.

If you find yourself asked to register again, please make sure that your browser cookie is enabled.

Register

I'm also interested in news for:

* By registering you agree that you have read and agree to our Terms and Conditions and that Executive Grapevine International Ltd and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content and products.

Comments (5)

  • Safia Boot
    Safia Boot
    Wed, 15 Mar 2017 6:44am GMT
    What is staggering is his someone who clearly must be used to studying company accounts can get away with using a nebulous expression such as "The pendulum has swung very significantly the other way" when it comes to the representative numbers of women and ethnic minorities. The word "significant" and similar is so often used by such people without quoting the figures that the only people they are seeking to influence are people of privilege like themselves in order to make themselves feel there is no action they need to take to stop recruiting and promoting in their self image because of the Darwinian principle that the smartest and strongest of the species will simply rise to the top via a process of evolution. So we could be waiting a few more hundred years+ for gender equality (depending on which country you are in) according to WEF global estimates. Hence why this is not good enough and we need to demand a change without being diversity apologists and those organisations who use diversity for quick window dressing PR by saying things like "well it's complex and we should not expect change overnight" - who said anything about 'overnight!' - a decade or two would be nice so if I have grand children I might live to see the it
  • Leo
    Leo
    Tue, 14 Mar 2017 2:31pm GMT
    The Tesco Board should have some equality, diversity and inclusion training....
  • Q
    Q
    Tue, 14 Mar 2017 9:26am GMT
    The person best for the job should get the job! how hard is that to grasp, and who cares what race, sex... you are, where you originated from. Yes I agree, i believe in equality. I could write so much on this topic, having a white male husband who and being a British Asian women. He was not pushed as a child anywhere near as much I was, so everything i ever wanted i fought for and we went for the same job and i got it, why? because i grafted for it, practiced, had sleepless nights, not because i am an British Asian women, but because i wanted it more. He thought be would get it with out the work. who ever is best suited! its that simple.
  • Madi
    Madi
    Mon, 13 Mar 2017 1:45pm GMT
    23% of the Tesco Board is female. I'm sure the remaining 77% of the Board is feeling the imminent danger of extinction. As Talent Specialist says, it is incredibly unhelpful language given the importance of gender diversity, especially at the top of organisations, and I would expect better of a representative of Tesco given their position as one of the largest employers in the UK.
  • Talent Specialist
    Talent Specialist
    Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:44pm GMT
    This is the kind of narrow minded, protectionist attitude that makes it difficult for progress to be made. If you look at the Tesco Board, you see there is more work to be done.

You may also like

HR Grapevine
HR Grapevine | Executive Grapevine International Ltd
HR Grapevine
HR Grapevine | Executive Grapevine International Ltd

Most Read

Guide to HR Technology

Guide to HR Technology 2017

Related Insights

HR Grapevine Magazine Latest Issue

Magazine Features

Read More