The expression ‘lead by example’ has been proven even more important, after fresh research has shown that middle managers copy their bosses’ bad behaviour.
Researchers at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam and Cambridge University have undertaken five studies that show that middle managers copy the behaviour of their bosses, at least if they have offices close to each other.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.