Famous for his roles in Doctor Who and Torchwood, while also currently presiding as a judge on ITV’s Dancing on Ice, Glasgow-born John Barrowman is a well-known figure of British TV. However, before he became famous for roles on these shows, Barrowman tried to make it in the US back in the 1990s. After securing a position in Central Park West, which was aired on the US network CBS, Barrowman revealed that he was fired for refusing to hide his sexuality. Writing in Daily Mail, he said: “Midway through the first season, I was called in by the producers. They asked me if I would not talk about being gay. “So I said to Scott (his boyfriend at the time, and now husband), ‘They want me not to talk about you anymore. They want me to lie about who I am.’ “But...
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.