How much does regional elocution affect your job prospects? It’s a murky question, yet one that has worrying implications for the state of UK business’ bias against those from either foreign countries or from other parts of the UK.
Historically, those seeking to elevate their position would take elocution lessons before starting out in their desired field. For example, in his recent Desert Island Discs interview, Sir Ian McKellen discussed the process of attempting to lose his Northern accent.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.