Employees or workers get paid by their employer for doing a specific job. Their job expectations and role responsibilities are outlined in their contract of employment and they will be paid accordingly for the work that they do.
Yet, Shell union workers were allegedly given an ultimatum: either turn up to President Donald Trump’s speech or miss out on a day’s pay – Indy100 reported. Whilst their attendance to the speech wasn’t compulsory, it was mandatory in order for the workers to receive the day’s pay, otherwise they were required to take the day off unpaid.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.