As a general rule, office gossip is something that most bosses abhor - linking it to a loss of productivity and diminished staff morale.
However, one CEO is actively encouraging his employees to natter with each other. Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst has a completely different view on the issue of workplace gossip. In an interview with Business Insider, he explained why: “Rule of thumb when it comes to office gossip: If you have more truth telling at the water cooler than in meetings, you've got a problem.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.