Earlier this week, the Government’s furlough scheme opened and, within 30 minutes, numerous outlets reported that almost 70,000 claims had been made on behalf of employees. By 4pm that same day, Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, announced that more than 140,000 employers had already applied for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme at the daily press briefing. Since then, numerous organisations including Primark and John Lewis have used the scheme to furlough tens of thousands of staff members. High-profile celebrity bosses, such as Victoria Beckham and Stella McCartney, have also furloughed staff under the Government’s scheme though their decision to do so has been met with heavy backlash.
In this week’s podcast, HR Grapevine’s Online Editor, Sophie Parrott, sits down with Executive Grapevine Digital Media’s Head of Content, Dan Cave, to talk through all of the recent developments regarding the Government’s furlough scheme, as well as the rules that employers and employees must abide by. Additionally, the pair provide key HR takeaways about how the people function can support furloughed staff during this challenging period.
Upgrade to access
This content is only available to members of myGrapevine+.
myGrapevine+ is the latest way we are supporting a growing community of forward-thinking business leaders. Members can access a host of specially developed content and tools that aren't available anywhere else, helping you set new standards in business and people leadership every day.
- Access to exclusive member-only content including:
- The 'Leaders Series', a set of video interviews with leading business and HR voices
- Strategic deep dives and expert tips for professional development and innovative practise
- Access to the entire archive of news, features and insights from HR Grapevine and our other sites.
- Unlimited access to the full back catalogue of our award-winning Magazine and other publications.